Saturday, June 25, 2011

Inside the MH

As you can see we stripped it clean to start over,add insulation,drywall and all new electric--the dates on the camera are all wrong but we did most of this in the month of July 2010

We still have some things to do in the kitchen--I have some new photos as the microwave installed over the stove and all the trim finished.

The New Roofs over the MH's

I have a lazy Saturday to add to my blog,next weekend we start a vacation lol well we start on the other mobile home beside the one we finished--will blog as I go with that one lol. The roof on the mh gave me the most worries as I was not sure if they would work,and no one had any answers or examples. We had thought about adding a new metal roof directly to the mh,but in this location there is a heavy snow load--4 ft the winter we worked on them. My fear was roof collapes---you will see later what happened to the other mh... Plus I did not want my dd shoving off the roof in the middle of the winter. Plus in the future we might add on to the mh and it is much easier with the design we used--it is a one bedroom and if we rent it out it might have to be 2 bedroom. The photos tell it all if any ?'s just ask.

Monday, June 6, 2011

New Doors and windows

The old windows were new mobile home windows,not very old but not installed correctly and let in a lot of cold air. After we installed the new windows a huge difference in heating the MH. The plywood is up due to us removing the door to install the one piece tub.

After windows and doors installed. We still have the outside to do,new smart siding and new roof. But we are finishing working more inside due to the weather is still very unsure. Inside it is warm and dry lol.

The new windows and some new framing. We have installed many windows and doors so as a family we made quick work of it. Most of the houses I have bought over the years,needed new windows so practice...practice.......:)

The winter of 2010 in our area was one for the books as far as cold and snow. We could not get back to our project which is 3 hours away for a long time due to the bad winter, 4+ feet of snow!! We worked my dh first vacation--the week of MLK and got the floor completely done,cold and long hours!

It is hard to see in the photo but we supported the roof while we did this as we had to remove a large section at a time. The window going in, I originally bought to take apart as it is the smallest picture window I have ever seen lol it could be taken apart to make 3 very small windows,which I was going to put in the bath in both of the MH--the other MH is beside this one. BUT it was so cute--and perfect for the kitchen as I was stumped --the other window I had for this spot was too big--it is now my favorite window. If you have an older MH replacing the windows is very easy and outside you can paint trim ==we used 1 x4 but you can use bigger to cover up where you cut to install. We are totally replacing the metal siding so we just covered up the wholes until it gets warmer.

We got back to work full time over Easter Break, we spent Good Friday and Sat,Sun(Easter) working--we had to make up time someway,my dh and I both work full time jobs plus our projects.

The plan was to replace the doors,first, then windows. The door had to come off due to we bought a full size tub--love it- a one piece and well it did not fit in the door. We replaced front door with French Doors and the back door with a regular off the shelf-- 32inch exterior door. With proper framing you can replace mh doors and windows with regular off the box store shelf doors and windows.

New Mobile Home Floor

Sorry--photo of dh and ds, this is from our other mh we started first,can not figure out how to delete it,will blog on this one later,we are restarting on it soon.

As you can see we have two mh projects--both in the 1973-74 age--we were surprised at the different way the floors were constructed.

First photo. After replacing all of the joists and much of the other framing, some dry rot, water damage and a visit from termites. Plus removing old repairs by previous owners that did not fix the problem just made them much worse as they cut joists. So... we are really glad we started from scratch. The way we replaced the floor will be different then the way others would replace the floor in a mobile home. Why? We do not have a furnace(other owners removed it),so we do not need duct work. We are running our water lines inside the MH not under the MH. (which works GREAT,I will blog about this later,but will say my DD was away on Christmas break for a few weeks and temp was 10-20 degrees,electric went out for 4 days and nothing froze and the temp was 55 inside the MH with no heat--yea we really insulated it lol) Ok, we put down a 7/16 inch OSB plywood, then plastic 6 mil heavy duty, then insulated R19, then 3/4 plywood on top a nice sandwich.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Removing the MH Floor

The beginning getting rid of the old floor and finding all the surprises!

The insulation had disintegrated to nothing, removed all the duct work, many of the joist had broke or dry rotted when we removed the floor many came up with them. The cost to totally replace all the joist was not much @250. We placed ours 16 inches apart.